Naga ed-Deir is a necropolis situated on the east bank of the Nile to the south of Akhmim.
The site stretches for 2 kilometers from the Coptic monastery ( deir in Arabic) and modern village, after which the site is named, to the area known as Sheikh Farag, named after the tomb of a local Islamic holy man.
The cemeteries of Naga ed-Deir cover an almost unbroken sequence from Predynastic times to the present. They were excavated by the American Egyptologist George Reisner between 1901 and 1924. He numered the cemeteries around the three wadis at the southern end of the site 100 to 3500, while cemeteries 9000-10,000 were located farther north.
The burials in Cemetry 9000 date from the Middle Kingdom through to the Roman period.
Naga ed-Deir in egyptsites
Models by site for Naga ed Deir Cemetery 9000