Naga ed-Deir is a necropolis situated on the east bank of the Nile to the south of Akhmim. The site stretches for 2 kilometers from the Coptic monastery ( deir in Arabic) and modern village, after which the site is named, to the area known as Sheikh Farag after the tomb of a local Islamic holy man.
The burials date from the Predynastic Period through to the Middle Kingdom. They were excavated by the American Egyptologist George Reisner between 1901 and 1924.
Naga ed-Deir in egyptsites